There is something nostalgic about sticky drumsticks. It always reminds me of the long summer days I spent with my family and friends. Lots of laughter and stories told, abundant food on the table to share, sticky fingers and lips smacking heard.
These drumsticks are perfect for sharing, and very versatile. Potluck lunch or dinner, rugby or footie games, birthdays, you name it! It can also be a full meal by itself, simply by adding some fluffy jasmine rice and green salad. If you like me, loving all things a bit spicy, then a dollop of chilli sauce on the side would be delish!
STICKY ASIAN DRUMSTICKS
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
1 1/2 cup kecap manis
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
5 cloves garlic, crushed
a thumb size of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cracked black pepper
juice and zest of 1 lemon
10 chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp chopped chives
lime wedges and coriander leaves to serve
1. Preheat the oven into 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Mix cornflour, kecap manis, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, black pepper, and lemon juice and zest in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until thickened. Set aside.
3. Pat the drumsticks dry with paper towel. Brush each drumstick with kecap manis mixture. Arrange drumsticks on the oven tray. Set extra kecap manis mixture aside.
4. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, basting two or three times with kecap manis mixture during cooking.
5. To serve, arrange drumsticks on a platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chives. Scatter lime wedges and coriander leaves around the drumsticks.